Hi!

May. 9th, 2018 06:19 am
eee1313: (fishes!?!)
[personal profile] eee1313
Hey people! I know it's been a long, long time since I last posted. It's honestly hard to find time to get away and update. My kids are ridiculously demanding. VEE wants all my awake time to be focused on her, and MDR needs someone to pay attention to him, just to make sure he's not getting into trouble. And honestly, when I DO have free time available, my little netbook usually isn't charged. So here I am.

MDR got me up 2 hours early this morning, which is why I'm updating. So far I've unloaded the dishwasher, listened to two squirrels scream at each other ("squirrel fight to-niiiight!") and seen a raccoon walk down the street with some kind of roadkill hanging from its mouth. A good start to the day, I think.

So what exactly HAS been going on? The Scientist and I celebrated our 10-year wedding anniversary last month. Initially we were hoping to get away to Traverse City, MI, but we couldn't leave the kids with my parents. So my sister-in-law J very graciously offered to watch the kids here at home and we took off for a weekend getaway to Galena, IL. We stayed at an old-school motor lodge type of hotel for a whopping $69/night, and we went to several wineries and there was a distillery next door and we got a whiskey walnut pie and we SLEPT. Dear God, we SLEPT. And it was GLORIOUS. Man, you don't know how much you miss getting regular sleep until you haven't had it for months and months on end.

The big stuff going on around here is MDR. He's officially been diagnosed with Autism. Not "on the spectrum," full-on Autism. But that said, he's happy and relatively well-adjusted and social, so what can you do? As of last week he finally started at-home ABA therapy, and his counselor, Joe, is a damn saint. He tries to eat lunch with MDR, which is a challenge in and of itself because lately he's stopped eating unless it's Cheerios. But he's got the kid eating applesauce with a spoon now, so that's something. And I've put together a word picture book so that if there's something MDR needs, he can pull the little picture off the Velcro strip and tell us what he wants. "I ... want ... noodles" as he points to each square. The other day he told the Scientist "I want booburrs" and when he told the kid we didn't have any blueberries, he dragged my husband into the kitchen and pointed at the bag of dried blueberries. Smart kid. Now if only he'd start really talking. And use the potty. He's nearly too big for diapers. But that's another hill to climb...

VEE is doing well. She and the Scientist have really enjoyed their father/daughter group. The Scientist is starting to make friends with some of the other dads, and VEE has friends in the group as well. Last weekend they went camping and even though the program is supposed to end over the summer, they're hoping to do a pool party and a trip to the Renaissance Faire (they have a Scouts Weekend in August). VEE is also doing spectacularly in school. Her reading is great, and though she has some problems being jealous of the one girl in class who's ahead of her academically, she's really enjoying school. A few weeks ago they had a fair and she won a goldfish, so we had to go out and get an aquarium for it. The fish lasted two weeks. Now we have a tiny female baby betta fish, whish she's named Rosalina. Rosalina appears to like her new home. These fish can last up to three years, so fingers crossed.

Things are going well for me otherwise. I just got a raise at work (woooo!) and I have some projects coming down the pike which should keep me sufficiently busy. And next month I'm turning 40, so I have to get an invitation out to have people over to hang that day.

Ooooooh, lightning outside! Looks like we're gonna have a storm! I'm all for that. Anyway, I just heard VEE is up, so I should go. I hope all is well with you guys. <3

Date: 2018-05-11 12:24 pm (UTC)
hedgemistress: (Default)
From: [personal profile] hedgemistress
It's good to hear from you. <3

Date: 2018-05-15 08:41 pm (UTC)
sunbrae: (Craig - smile)
From: [personal profile] sunbrae
Hi!

Profile

eee1313: (Default)
eee1313

July 2020

S M T W T F S
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19 202122232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 18th, 2026 08:50 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios